Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Ch-ch-changes

To say I've been busy is an understatement. Everything is happening all at once, and yet I seem to be spinning my wheels and getting nowhere. So to try and regain control, a bit, I decided to wash the slip covers on my chair and ottoman and move them into the new studio. Sigh. I watched the birds at the feeder for a full six minutes, and then back to the reigning chaos. 
Over a week ago I got some curtains and a rod for my bedroom window and the stuff sat and waited. I knew it was merely a 30 minute job but so many things diverted my attention. Today it rained and that meant no golf, and so while Dave napped I got out the ladders, drills, mollies and hammer and began to do it myself. Of course I then had to wake Dave to hold the other end of the curtain rod. It was finished in no time. Sigh of satisfaction. Only one and half years to get curtains up in my bedroom!



I keep meaning to take pictures of the garden before it engulfs the house, and in between downpours today I snapped a few images. Those tomatoes have their own zip code.
We moved the trees back to the patio in an attempt to have shade, and they are providing some...but the real reason we moved them is because I had to make space for the new fig tree bed.

 A new fig tree bed? Allow me to explain. Last year I got five small fig trees, potted them up and let them sit outside all winter, as they were good to -20, which it never got near. But the part I messed up was that the pots had poor drainage and the little trees drowned. So this Spring I bit the bullet and dumped the dead things in the field across the road. Later while walking the dogs I noticed that two of the five had developed leaves! They weren't dead after all so I wheelbarrowed them back home. They sat unpotted for over a month doing just fine, but then I bought two more fig trees and was going to pot them all when I noticed the two new ones were looking sickly. Wha? Taking no chances, I returned those to the store and got one bigger healthier tree in a bigger pot. I was not giving up, you see.
So...days later it was time to pot up the three trees and while I was at Lowe's scouting out potting options (they should pay me for how often I drop them into the conversation) it occurred to me that for the cost of the pots+soil I could build another big concrete block bed.
O.K. I did. 48 blocks and now I have a new fig bed. Woowoo! It took one afternoon to build and fill it and then the next day, Memorial Day, I finished it off with plants and the trees. Soil was on sale, of course!
And then the rain came and it rained steadily for two whole days.  Good.

 One of the flower beds, which I am calling the Japanese garden is so lush, that it actually seems a bit crowded. Lots of nasturtiums which take up so much space, but soon they will be tumbling over the edge and trailing down the side of the trough.
At the edge of the patio we have three volunteer watermelons, plus one hard to see dillweed plant. Be aware of where you spit seeds this summer. They might take up residence.

5 comments:

  1. You truly are SuperWoman!!! Amazing what you accomplish...... AND your garden is gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After watching you fill up the new yard like your old one, I know I'd better not try to downsize my garden area as I'd have the same result. Is there any room left for the dogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dawgs love all the new spots to lift a leg. They never play or run around in the yard, as they prefer going for a walk.

      Delete
  3. Your garden is fabulous! I was just telling a neighbor today about your stock tank planters. I still want some of those... just have to talk myself into spending the money!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is only May and your garden is growing so fast, will you need a machete to get through it in August? Enjoy every minute you can out there and a bountiful harvest as well.

    ReplyDelete